Wednesday 9 January 2013

child's play

well well... isn't this smashing... im now past the important introductory first blog post and now am writing my second. and i know what im gonna talk about here in this post.

my beauty firsts.

i think my childhood history and growing up phases all revolve around makeup.
i was raised solely by my mother (disco queen) who influenced me greatly in my pursuit of all things beautiful. mom believes in personal grooming &etiquette and the necessary art of dressing up for oneself and not for others. no matter what life threw at us, mom made sure i looked like a doll with that universal mandatory childhood mushroom head hair cut, a pretty girlie frock, white bobby socks with lace and patent mary janes. and many years down the road this grooming streak would still be in me making sure no matter how sh**ty things were, i don't look like it. clothes, shoes n bags... ahhh my lovely respite!

bonding time meant that mom and me would be in her room getting ready to get out of the house while the radio blasted abba, bee gees &other cheesy hits. both of us would gather infront of her rosewood dressing table and beauty armor and we would take turns things picking up makeup to wear (she wore, i played) in this basket on the dressing table while at the same time singing the infectious refrains on the radio. my mother was a fan of the biba vamp look so naturally her eyes were heavily lined with eyeliner and i would naturally be interested in copying that look since young.

when she got round to lining n rimming her eyes, i would be focused on looking at her artistry while she was focused on getting the job done quick. after many years staring at her drawing her eyes, when it was my first time and turn to do mine, i didn't even have to practise. i must have been lining my eyes for at least 15years even before it was the norm for girls my age.

i also remember the many times i sneaked off from prayer meetings at my aunt's house to play with her make up and costume jewelry... i would play dress up and read madonna's biography and my cousin's gossip mags...

and when my grandmother passed on, she left me a bottle of vaseline snow which i couldn't bear to use.

so these are a few of my growing up memories of playing with makeup or anything beauty or grooming related. thanks for your patience! as i am typing the words behind the memories, i can almost smell the rosewood, kajal, vaseline snow and the air of my precocity.... nais nais :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

heyy... be nais.